Remove this ad

Lead

May 18 14 12:54 AM

Tags : :

I don't know what happened to the last thread with this topic, but here's a new one.

I watched Godzilla this afternoon. I thought this movie was a huge improvement over the last American Godzilla movie but it wasn't perfect. The build-up of the first third of the movie worked great. Bryan Cranston and Ken Wantanabe did an excellent job
of working to create a sense of mystery and dread, but once the focus of the movie turned to Aaron Taylor-Johnson, whom I usually like, the movie took sputtered to a crawl. There was too much attention paid to the MUTOs and not nearly enough paid to
the star of the movie, Godzilla. I wish directors like Gareth Edwards and Michael Bay would learn that the audience is not there to see a bunch of stars running around chasing contrived plot devices. When I go to a Transformers movie or a Godzilla movie, I want to see robots and monster pounding the crap out each other. That said, the last 15-20 minutes of the movie was well worth the price of admission and when Godzilla was on screen, I couldn't help grinning like a little kid. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 19 14 11:18 PM

I watched Godzilla on Saturday and really enjoyed it.  Could have used more Cranston and the big G, though.  Could've used less teasing of the fights, too.  I was getting pissed after the 3rd tease, but when they finally showed the big throwdown I was really happy.  Bring on Mothra, baby!

Later that night I watched the debut of Fast & Furious 6 on HBO.  If you're a fan of the series, you'll like it.  If you hate the series, you'll hate it.  More of the same ridiculous heists, impossible action, and good humor/hot chicks/sweet rides.  Loved seeing Gina Carano back in a starring movie role, and she should be in a lot more big-budget action flicks. 

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

May 20 14 12:41 PM

bigraj wrote:
I watched Godzilla on Saturday and really enjoyed it.  Could have used more Cranston and the big G, though.  Could've used less teasing of the fights, too.  I was getting pissed after the 3rd tease, but when they finally showed the big throwdown I was really happy.  Bring on Mothra, baby!

Later that night I watched the debut of Fast & Furious 6 on HBO.  If you're a fan of the series, you'll like it.  If you hate the series, you'll hate it.  More of the same ridiculous heists, impossible action, and good humor/hot chicks/sweet rides.  Loved seeing Gina Carano back in a starring movie role, and she should be in a lot more big-budget action flicks. 

Did you catch the Mothra cameo in Godzilla?

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

May 26 14 3:05 PM

I watched Godzilla again on Saturday. Just as awesome!

The Bell Witch Haunting- I caught this little movie on Netflix. It's another found footage horror movie that's a lot like Paranormal Activity. It's a little cheesey in some parts but I have to say, there
are some scenes that are far scarier and engaging than the PA franchise. For a little movie, it packs in some good scares. It's worth a viewing.

The Starving Games- Another Netflix viewing. My son roped me into watching this. It's a silly spoof of the Hunger Games movies with a few jabs at some other hits including The Avengers. It's mindless
fun with a HOT star in the lead role. 

Odd Thomas- Yet another Netflix movie. Odd Thomas is based on the novel of the same name by auther Dean Koontz and stars Anton Yelchin and Willem Defoe. Yelchin plays a talanted short order cook with the ability to see the dead
and to sense evil. Instead of being haunted by his ability, he sees it as a gift and is compelled to fight the evil whenever he recognizes it. Odd Thomas is his actual name and he's well liked in his community. He has a very hot and totally devoted
girlfriend named Stormy who acts as his sidekick with Defoe playing the fatherly police chief. The movie is light and fun with some horror elements, reminding me of The Frighteners. The best part of the movie is the relationships between 
Odd, Stormy, and the police chief. The snappy patter between them all reminds me of the fun dialog that made Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel so compelling to watch. If you get the chance, I highly recommend watching it. It's also available
on DVD and Redbox.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

May 27 14 1:18 AM

I saw X-Men: DoFP this afternoon. It was the most epic and mindbending installment in the franchise to date. Excellent movie! Left me with more questions than answeres though.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Jun 8 14 4:01 AM

Saw Edge of Tomorrow this afternoon. Visually, it was a really good movie, but the story just wasn't that engaging to me. 

I watched Lone Survivor this evening. After reading the book, I was super excited to watch the movie. It was very well done and handled with obvious respect, but I was a little diappointed at all the stuff that was left out. There were several minor 
changes that took some of the heart of the book out of the movie. Mostly these were important details that enriched the characters and helped to fill in some of the motives several characters. There were some scenes that were added for dramatic
effect, but only seemed to inject tired Hollywood action cliches into a powerful story that didn't need any embellishments. Anyway, it's still a very important and emotional story that I feel everyone should see. 

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Jul 7 14 11:17 PM

Finally watched the latest X-Men flick over the long weekend. Surprised to see about 40 people at the screening, since I figured most folks would be there for Transformers. Really liked the 2 casts and especially loved the cameos at the end. About the only thing I didn't like was Kitty Pryde displaying a power I'm not sure she's been shown to possess. Certainly not in these movies.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#10 [url]

Jul 14 14 10:21 PM

Quite a mix recently:

Hatchet III - Another cheesy installment in the horror franchise, but I love Kane Hodder and Danielle Harris.

Blood Night: The Legend of Mary Hatchet - Another low-budget horror flick with Danielle Harris. Nice nudity.

The Babymakers - Raunchy comedy starring Olivia Munn and Paul Schneider as a couple having trouble making a baby. Actually a lot better than I expected.

Fargo - Finally watched it after hearing for years how awesome it was. Certainly lived up to the hype, and I've got to check out the TV show.

Wild Style - Early 80's flick showcasing the early hip-hop culture of the South Bronx. Lots of bad acting, but awesome graffiti and breakdancing.

World War Z - Haven't read the source material, but I liked the movie well enough.

Peeples - Funny rom-com starring Kerry Washington and Craig Robinson as a couple trying to break the news about them being together to her overbearing father.

21 & Over - High School buds (going to different colleges) reunite to get their friend hammered on his 21st b-day. "Wacky" hijinks ensue. Not bad if you're hammered, like I was that night.

Machete Kills - If you loved Machete like I did, you need to watch this, and get ready for Machete Kills . . . In Space, hopefully coming very soon.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre II - The original sequel of the franchise, starring Dennis Hopper. Hadn't seen it since I was a kid and didn't have any fond memories of it. Nothing's changed. Not scary, not funny/goofy enough to be enjoyable.

The Purge - Cool concept for a horror/thriller, although it's difficult to imagine things getting so bad in this country (in the near or distant future) that such a thing would be sanctioned. Might've enjoyed it more if the focus wasn't just on the one family, which it looks like sequel will deal with.

Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa .5 - Pretty horrible. Couldn't make it through the first 30 minutes.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jul 22 14 8:07 PM

Today was half-priced Tuesday at the local theater so my son and I went and saw Maleficent. I was surprised at how good it was. It wasn't a huge epic movie like LotR, but instead it was a nice little personal story with some epic moments to it an some really nice fx. Jolie was very cool and looked great as the semi-evil fairy god-mother.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Aug 2 14 8:27 PM

Just watched Guardians of the Galaxy, and may go back tomorrow. Absolutely great movie. Suitably epic scale, great humor and action, and amazing off-the-wall characters. Loved pretty much all the characters, though I could have done without Nebula and would have liked a bit more story about Ronan. Groot and Rocket were perfectly done, and it was nice to see one of Rocket's least favorite animals show up a couple of times on screen. If you've never seen a Marvel Studios movie, this holds its own as a separate story, while still tying into the greater Marvel Cinematic Universe, as we get some backstory on the Infinity Gems Stones. Definitely does the Abnett & Lanning team justice.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Sep 2 14 11:28 PM

Watched The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Sunday morning on the old DVR. First time I'd seen it since its theatrical run and I still enjoyed it. Can't wait for the extended version.

Checked out You're Next yesterday afternoon on Netflix. Very cool slasher/horror flick that I somehow missed out on the first time. Nice twists along the way to keep it fresh.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Sep 3 14 2:01 AM

I watched You're Next a couple of weeks ago. It was a nice little thriller! Lot's of twists in the ending. I almost didn't watch it. I originally tried to watch it on a DVD copy that had horrible sound quality but it was fine
on Netflix.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Oct 24 14 1:04 AM

Been getting ready for Halloween by going through some of the usual horror movies the last couple of weekends. Of course, the original Halloween, Carpenter's The Thing (haven't seen it in about a decade), Friday the 13th Part 6: Jason Lives, Cabin in the Woods. Will probably knock out a few more the next couple of weekends.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help